Readings of the day: Thursday of the Fourth Week of Easter
For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
Reading for the day
Reading for the day
- 13 Now Paul and his company set sail from Paphos, and came to Perga in Pamphyl'ia. And John left them and returned to Jerusalem;
- 14 but they passed on from Perga and came to Antioch of Pisid'ia. And on the sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.
- 15 After the reading of the law and the prophets, the rulers of the synagogue sent to them, saying, "Brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say it."
- 16 So Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said: "Men of Israel, and you that fear God, listen.
- 17 The God of this people Israel chose our fathers and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with uplifted arm he led them out of it.
- 18 And for about forty years he bore with them in the wilderness.
- 19 And when he had destroyed seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them their land as an inheritance, for about four hundred and fifty years.
- 20 And after that he gave them judges until Samuel the prophet.
- 21 Then they asked for a king; and God gave them Saul the son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, for forty years.
- 22 And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king; of whom he testified and said, `I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.'
- 23 Of this man's posterity God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised.
- 24 Before his coming John had preached a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
- 25 And as John was finishing his course, he said, `What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but after me one is coming, the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.'
Psalms 89:2-3, 21-22, 25, 27
Response: For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
- 1 I will sing of thy steadfast love, O LORD, for ever; with my mouth I will proclaim thy faithfulness to all generations. R
- 2 For thy steadfast love was established for ever, thy faithfulness is firm as the heavens.
- 20 I have found David, my servant; with my holy oil I have anointed him; R
- 21 so that my hand shall ever abide with him, my arm also shall strengthen him.
- 24 My faithfulness and my steadfast love shall be with him, and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
- 26 He shall cry to me, `Thou art my Father, my God, and the Rock of my salvation.' R
Gospel for the day
- 16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
- 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
- 18 I am not speaking of you all; I know whom I have chosen; it is that the scripture may be fulfilled, `He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.'
- 19 I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.
- 20 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who receives any one whom I send receives me; and he who receives me receives him who sent me."
- St. Canutus, King of Denmark
- Pope appeals for a peaceful solution to the crisis in Libya
- Africa needs more female leaders
- New Caravan of Central American migrants in search of better lives
- Libya: Thousands of children at risk amidst ongoing conflict
- Pope Francis praises Italian fishers for ridding the sea of plastic
- Myanmar Church concerned over China-backed dam